In the United States, more than 30 million men, women, and children play over 500 million golf rounds every year, and almost 80 percent of them experience back pain or injury at some point in their lives as active golfers.
As fun as it may be, swinging the club at golf balls at speeds of up to 100 mph while turning and twisting is a very unnatural movement that puts tremendous strain on the body, opening up the opportunity for injury. Either acute, associated with painful swelling and increased risk of higher sensitivity to pain and loss of normal joint function, or chronic, associated with stiffness and increased risk of reopening old wounds, golf injuries are painful, incapacitating, and prevent golfers from playing golf altogether.
But golfers’ suffering doesn’t stand only in the swing. There is also a lot of walking in golf, most often on uneven surfaces such as hills, tree roots, or sand, and also standing around and bending while trying to sink a putt. Sooner or later, active golfers may develop low back, neck, shoulder, and elbow pain that will sabotage any golf swing and ruin the overall experience of the game.
Chiropractic Care, the Answer to Many of the Golfers’ Aches
There’s a good reason why chiropractors have been part of the official PGA Sports Medicine for many years, tending to the aches and pains of golf superstars such as Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, and Phil Mickelson. Chiropractic care not only is a valuable tool that can help golfers of all ages deal with overuse injuries, but regular care can also help prevent injuries in the first place by improving flexibility and increasing the range of motion.
Regular chiropractic adjustments offer many benefits to active golfers, including:
- Injury prevention. Golfing, like any other active sports, is more enjoyable and offers less chance of injury if the player’s body is in optimal condition and functioning within normal parameters. Regular adjustments increase the body’s capability of healing itself faster, thus diminishing the chance of getting injured. When the spine is free of misalignments, contorted positioning such as a golf swing causes less damage.
- Pain reduction. Back injuries, whether acute or chronic, are extremely painful and debilitating, and many golfers turn to over-the-counter medication to obtain relief and be able to return on the field. However, painkillers merely address the symptoms, and not the cause, of the problem, thus providing only short-term relief. In contrast, chiropractic care treats the source of the pain through localized manipulations that remove misalignments and drastically diminish the pain.
- Faster healing. With regular chiropractic care, neck and back pain subside faster, as chiropractors work on all parts of the body affected, including the spine, joints, ligaments, and tissues. By considering the body as a whole, chiropractic care promotes faster healing time for sports injuries and pain.
- Enhanced mobility. Both amateur and professional golfers know that their success on the field depends primarily on how easily they are able to move. Stiff joints and a weak back will not only prevent them from achieving performance, but also lead the way to chronic pain and injury. Regular chiropractic care releases the tension and pressure on the spine, allowing patients to move freely and injury-free on the field and in daily life.
- Improved posture. Swinging a golf club without proper postural stability is both unproductive and dangerous. On the field, successful golfers look balanced and solid, with excellent spine angles that can only be achieved as a result of a correct daily posture. Through regular chiropractic adjustments, you will be able to hold your body in the right position at all times, giving you better mechanical advantage and allowing you to impart greater force in your ball strike.
If you’re eager to improve your golf game and haven’t yet scheduled a consultation with your local chiropractic office for regular care, you’re missing out on an essential advantage to your game. Make an appointment at your local clinic to find out how gentle adjustments can make your pain disappear and your game tremendously improve.
About the Author
Dr. Marc Browner is the Founder of iChiropractic and Wellness in Naples, Florida. A graduate of the University of Florida in 1991, he earned his Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Life Chiropractic in 1995. In private practice since 1998, Dr. Browner is a member of the Florida Chiropractic Society, the Florida Chiropractic Association, and he attends continuing education seminars, classes, and workshops to remain abreast of the most current treatment methods and technological advances in the field.